Monday, February 18, 2013

Blog Post #6

Two computers with arms extending out of them and shaking hands

Networked Student is an informative and creative video. The video wonderfully illustrates the benefits of networking that are available for students to take advantage of. The video also illustrates how a teacher can enhance the classroom and learning experience by promoting networking. I feel, in a minute way, education has is already moving to this. Except, it seems the average network is made up of tools instead of people. For example, students have been using the internet for years to access journals, peer reviewed documents, and other resources for assignments. However, students' educational networks are often lacking people contacts.

In most occupations, networking has become a top priority. But with the world so busy and preoccupied with their own interests, how does a teacher help her students build a network of experts and such? In order for the teacher to promote student networking, he or she will need to have established his or her own network. A great place to start, of course, is your inner circle including friends and family. Where do you go from there? Blogging and social networks provide the perfect grounds for becoming acquainted with contacts across the globe. Luckily for EDM310 students, once we complete the class we will have established some valuable connections. One day these connections may lead us to others that will help enhance our classroom and pave the way to communicate with experts, authors, and other valuable information holders.

Blogging and social networks provide the perfect grounds for teachers to network in order to meet experts who are willing to help students build their own connections. Even though a networked student has virtually an unlimited amount of resources to utilize, I believe a student still needs a teacher as an appointed guide. I support nontraditional learning and moving away from the highly standardized learning system that is predominantly in place; however, students need a familiar individual to look to for guidance, praise, and criticism. I believe students need some sort of consistency in education and that turning them loose to explore, experience, and learn on their own without any guidance would not result in a well rounded education.



When I first viewed A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment (or PLN) video, I thought the screen the student had was from a MAC. I was happy to learn that it was a website I could utilize on my PC. I have now created an account with Symbaloo and have started using it. This is a great way to organize bookmarks and frequently visited sites. It is much more organized than my tool bar.

The student in the video has an extensive amount of resources perfectly organized right at her fingertips, including both tools and contacts. I have started a list of my contacts including instructors who I can reach out to, as well as both veteran and new teachers I am personal friends with. I believe my PLN should also include quick links to Owl Purdue, which is a site I often visit for grammatical and mechanical information. I will be on the lookout for additional tools to add to my PLN.

1 comment:

  1. Baldwin County is now ephasizing the use of challenge based, project-based and problem-based learning strategies at all grade levels. These efforts are similar to the networked student's approach to learning except the approaches vary according to grade. So get ready to be a Networked Teacher! Baldwin County will be a great place to be a teacher!

    ReplyDelete