Friday, February 8, 2013

Blog Post #5

I expect you all to be independent, innovative, critical thinkers who will do exactly as I say.

If I Could Build a School

Krissy Venosdale is an inspiration! On her Twitter account, Krissy refers to herself as an elementary teacher who is always learning and is "continually working to inspire kids." Krissy's ability to inspire extends beyond kids. As a future teacher, I am inspired by her lively blog posts. Her posts are enlightening and positive. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading her posts and have subscribed to her blog. The positive attitude she promotes is something every teacher should possess. Krissy's If I Built a School post details a dreamy school that all students would want to attend and all teachers would want to teach at. The creation of the school itself would be an innovation. Practically speaking, we know this dream is far fetched, but the ideas and goals in the post should be addressed in other ways. Let's face it, a tree house in the library would be awesome! I agree that students need a school that inspires creativity and makes them not only want to attend school but to succeed. Bland walls, uniforms, non-flexible scheduling, state curriculum, fluorescent lightning, and practicality do not provide a good basis for inviting our students in and inspiring them to think creatively.

Physically, I would want the school to be inviting, modern, and comfortable. Why not offer students the chance to learn in a relaxed environment as opposed to one that is so structured and uncomfortable? Every chair would be padded. Tables would be used as opposed to desks, in hopes of promoting collaboration and discussion. The entire school would be integrated, and teachers would collaborate and work together by having students do projects that require knowledge in several areas, such as making a movie or composing a book with illustrations. There, of course, would be a studio for making movies. The classrooms would be arranged for engagement and not simply to make the best of available space. Students would sit in a semicircle with the teacher in the center. The library would be a lounge area complete with device charging stations and a coffee shop. Students who could not attend class would have the option of joining the classroom virtually. The cafeteria would offer several chain restaurants in order to give students a choice. The cafeteria would be designed more like a sit down restaurant with cozy booths and pleasant lighting, as opposed to a prison cafeteria with straight line folding tables. Uniforms would only be mandatory for those students who failed to meet a relaxed but appropriate dress code.

With the day dreaming out of the way, I would like to say that my goal would be to build a school that goes beyond the typical student-passive curriculum we see today and that promotes student constructivism. A school where educators and students work together to enhance the learning process. A school where teachers view their students as contributors to the classroom and not merely buckets to dump information in. I can only start in my classroom, and I believe “flipping the classroom” is a great way to begin.



Eric Whitacre’s Virtual Choir (6:20)

This video is an amazing piece of work. At first glance, the virtual choir seems somewhat impersonal. But after listening to the story and the testimonies the virtual choir has a different feel to it. The use of technology to fulfill dreams and connect people to produce such a magnificent piece is very moving. Utilizing the internet in this way offers people the experience of being part of something truly special, along with 184 other people, without even leaving home. Such a project would be a great way for a music teacher and a computer teacher to work with one another to create a technology based assignment for students.



Teaching in the Twenty First Century

Kevin Roberts believes educators have to teach in a way that is engaging and challenging, as well as relative to life. While there is a wealth of facts and information at our finger tips, anyone searching for information must be able to synthesize and process the information found, before it can become knowledge. Today, students do not struggle with obtaining information. They need to learn the skills of processing the wealth of information available, checking a source for credibility, and actually applying the information they have learned. I do agree that teachers are now a filter. While, the textbook and teacher are no longer the only sources of information, students still have to be taught the skills of processing, analyzing, assessing, applying, and synthesizing.

As an educator, I believe it is necessary for me to teach my students how to apply available information to their daily lives. As an English teacher, a great way to help develop these skills is by having my students blog and tweet about real life situations. I could assign students a scenario such as, “Which checking account would best suit my needs?” I could have each student research and write a blog post describing the information they have found and how the information is relative to them. Such an assignment would enhance writing skills and critical thinking, as well as help students learn to research real life situations that they will soon face.



Flipped Classroom

At first, I had concerns about whether or not the students would actually watch the videos and those students who may not have access to the videos. After watching the FAQ videos, I fully support the idea of flipping the classroom. Requiring students to watch a video and take notes for homework in preparation for the day’s activities is not much different from having students read a chapter before coming to class. I believe a video would be more helpful than an in class lecture because students have the option of rewatching, taking notes, and researching the information on their own. I like that students will come to class already knowing what the day’s lesson is about and have the chance to work with and learn from peers on a similar pace. I could use this approach inside my classroom in the areas of grammar, writing, and literature.

I believe the biggest concern is access. Though most students have access to the videos at home, there has to be a way for several students to catch up on the videos if they by chance do not have access. As a mommy, if we did not have internet access at home, catch up time would not be during my child’s lunch time. If my child simply neglected to watch an assigned video, that would be a different story.

I believe a flipped classroom can be beneficial and is a way to engage the teacher, students, and parents.

3 comments:

  1. I love the cartoon!

    "Every chair would be padded." You are the first to suggest this. I like it!

    "There, of course, would be a studio for making movies. " Don't forget the green screen!

    "...if we did not have internet access at home..." We are getting closer to universal access. Maybe in North Baldwin and North Mobile there are still problems. But we are getting closer every day!

    Thorough, thoughtful, well done! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Amanda! I really enjoyed reading your post. My friend and I recently had a conversation about tables versus desks. We both decided that we preferred desks because of a personal space issue, it's nice to have a set area that is yours without worry that someone else will spread out over yours. But maybe that is something we need to get over, because collaboration is very must a necessity. I think it's a lovely idea for classrooms to be arranged for engagement purposes rather than to save space. I also really liked your ideas for different assignments.

    The only issue I found with your post was in the very last section. You wrote, "At first, I had concerns about rather or not the students..." Instead of 'rather', it should be 'whether or not.'

    All in all, this was an awesome post. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katelyn! I would prefer to have my own space as well, but tables are better for collaboration. However, desks would probably serve the same purpose if they are arranged with collaboration in mind.



      Oh man. My mind read right over that homophone. I fixed it. Thank you!



      Be sure to place punctuation inside the quotation marks. Unless, it is an exclamation point or a question mark. They have their own pesky rules.



      Thank you for your comment!



      Happy Blogging!

      Delete