Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Blog Post #14

digital textbook


According to the article, “Teacher Knows if You’ve Done the E-Reading” by David Streitfeld, some Texas A&M professors are now tracking their students study habits through the use of publisher provided data regarding the use of digital textbooks. The publishers offer a service which provides educators with an engagement index score. The score is believed to have demonstrate a correlation between achievement and success and is based on how often and how long a student uses his or her textbook. The service also lets instructors know passages the student has highlighted. This information is available to students; however, only if the professor chooses to share the information with them. This article was published April 8, 2013 and states that this concept is expected to go broad. Clemson, Central Carolina Technical College, and Stony Brook University are also experimenting with the data. Streitfeld states critics question how well it measures learning. The author also notes that publishers see an opportunity to dominate digital textbooks by offering this constant stream of information to educators, as well as using the information to enhance future editions of digital textbooks.

I think the information could be beneficial in helping students who are trying but are still struggling. It would “prove” that a student is studying but may be falling behind as a result of a learning disability or weak study habits. I could see the idea of an engagement index making its way into the grade book as a participation grade, and I do not see that as being a good thing. Such a concept would not be fair to a student who has a busy life but manages to grasp the material in a short time frame and does well on exams. I do believe using the information to adjust instruction and material could be extremely beneficial. The data may help teachers have a better idea on what students are enjoying, what students are struggling with, and what students seem to grasp easily. As a teacher, I feel the student should have access to any of the tracked information.

As a student, I guess my biggest concern is with what the teacher will do with the received data. Will he or she simply adjust instruction or requirements? For example, I would struggle to understand why a student who makes a “B” but has a higher engagement index than I while I make an “A” is theoretically learning more than I am. I’ve completed several classes in which I never opened the textbook. I took notes, and I searched for other resources. I suppose for the average student, the engagement index and success may have a correlation, but as a student I see a lot of variables in the mix. As the article pointed out, what if I just simply open the book and not read? And whose business is it if I highlight a passage or not? If the gathered information wouldn’t affect me but would serve as information for the teacher to use, then I would be comfortable with it. However, if my study habits are criticized due to an engagement index score based on my textbook usage, while I am clearly demonstrating that I am grasping the material, I would have issues with it. I don’t study out of a textbook. My study habits, which have proved to be extremely efficient for me, include note taking and review. And my notes must be in my own handwriting. I’m sure my engagement index would be low for all of my classes, and I am a 4.0 student.

If I were to talk with a teacher of the class I would ask:
1. What do you do with the data received? Adjust instruction? Additional assignments?
2. How accurate do you find the index to success correlation?
3. Will you factor this information into students’ grades?
4. How does this information affect students?


If I were to talk to students of the class I would ask:
1. Do you feel the pressure to use your textbook more often?
2. Do you benefit from this data? How?
3. Do you actively use your textbook in order to increase your index?
4. Do you study or simply leave your book open?


I personally believe this whole concept is based on sales for the publishers. I don’t believe it will enhance education in a manifest way. I can see how teachers may use it to get an idea of which students struggle or have to work really hard to receive a good grade, but I also believe such information is available without tracking students’ study skills. I feel the information received may prove a correlation between those at severe ends of the spectrum, failing and aceing, but for those in the middle, who are less obvious anyway, I feel the data will not have a direct relation to the students’ achievement. Personally, I don’t believe it is any of my instructor’s business if I opened my book or not. I’m there to learn. If I choose not to, I don’t need an instructor hunting me down, especially at the college level. However, if the instructor wants to use the information to try and adjust the presentation of material, then so be it if it can help him or her.

No comments:

Post a Comment