Monday, January 28, 2013

Blog Post #3

Grammar Saves Lives by using the correct comma placement in the sentence,
Grammar and Peer Revision

If we do not refresh our memory on the rules of grammar and mechanics, they often escape us. Even as an English major, I make mistakes. As I read through my assigned student’s blog, I did notice some grammatical and mechanical errors. I, like Paige Ellis explained in her blog post, wondered if it was my responsibility to point out the errors.

Though I have been known to “playfully” correct my mother’s grammar on Facebook, I, personally, do not feel comfortable correcting someone’s grammar on a public blog, unless the post is about grammar. I do not feel it is my place to publicly correct them. I am comfortable privately offering the author advice in order to improve his or her writing and noting any errors I have noticed. As a result, I have decided to email my assigned student.

I recognize EDM310 as a class in which writing well is essential to success, I believe it would be helpful to include links to those pesky grammar rules that are often forgotten. Below, I have listed a few links to help with the grammar mistakes that I often see in peer writing.

Commas
Possessive, Plural, and the Apostrophe
Homophones
Quotation Punctuation

I found the video Writing Peer Review TOP 10 Mistakes (4:01) humorously accurate in depicting how I remember peer editing before college. As an English teacher, I predict I will have similar occurrences in my classroom. Over the past few semesters, I have participated in quite a bit of peer review. In my experience, my peers wanted a "Picky Patty" because our instructors counted off for even something as seemingly insignificant as an extra space between two words. There is a time and place for such critiquing. Sometimes, simply acknowledging good word choice or mentioning a grammar rule is enough to help someone understand where he or she can improve.

In addition to the assigned video for this post, I recommend all EDM310 students watch How to Avoid 10 Common Grammar Mistakes (3:26). It has useful tips for writers who are unaware of common mistakes and who simply want a refresher.



Assistive Technology

The Mountbatten is an intriguing piece of technology. Inside the English classroom, this machine would be a wonderful piece of equipment for a student who is blind. The Mountbatten would enable the student to compose a writing assignment without the assistance of another individual, as well as provide the teacher with the means to read it by sending a file to a computer. The machine also receives files which would provide the option of sharing information with the student in written form, as opposed to in auditory format.

I had not given much thought to assistive technology, until I took a class on special education. I, of course, had thought about students with learning disabilities and such, but I had neglected to think about students who are blind or deaf. I am in awe at the technology available to enhance the learning process for blind students. The iPad VoiceOver function for blind users seems quite beneficial. It offers a combination of helpful tools for blind users including the ability to read books and surf the web. After watching iPad Usage for the Blind (6:36) and Teaching Mom What Her Deaf/Blind Child Is (5:35) , I would assume learning to use the voice over software would be frustrating for the student, teacher, and parents. However, once the process is learned, the iPad VoiceOver software offers the user a variety of tools. This would be great asset for a blind student in any classroom, particularly in my future English classroom. VoiceOver provides students who are blind easy access to due dates and note taking. It also provides them with a means of reading without the timely use of Braille.

According to Professor Art Karshmer, blind students have extreme difficulty learning both basic and advanced mathematics. In the video Teaching Math to the Blind (3:27) Karshmer introduces a workspace to assist blind students in using Braille, which is “linear in nature,” in a dimensional way. Karshmer’s demonstration of the workspace details how difficult math can be for a blind student.

Watching videos on assistive technology for blind students has brought to light the difficulties they face, especially the difficulty of learning to use the new technology available to assist them. As a teacher, I will have to catch on quickly to the technology available for a student in my classroom who needs assistive technology.



Harness Your Students’ Digital Smarts (4:51)

I found it intriguing that Vicki Davis was able to adapt innovative ideas to fit her classroom objectives and the curriculum. She is truly an inspiration. I also attended a rural high school and graduated in 2000; I did not have near the technological resources available today. The internet was just gaining popularity, and teachers were uncomfortable with its use. I would have thoroughly enjoyed the resources available today. Connecting a rural high school to the world is an achievement in itself.

I look forward to utilizing technology in the classroom, specifically blogging and web pages such as Wiki. These types of activities will offer students the opportunity to write for various reasons, including personal, technical, informative, and so forth. Also, today’s technology will provide students with a way to “publish” their work. When I was writing papers in high school, the only feedback I received was from the teacher and possibly from peer review. But today’s technology allows students to learn the value of a publishing, and allows them to receive feedback from people worldwide.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda!

    First of all, beautiful job on Blog Post #3. It is apparent you put a lot of thought and effort into your writing. I enjoyed reading your post and learned a lot about commas! Thank you for sharing your links and the video. I bookmarked all of your grammar websites. I think you will make a great English teacher. Coming down off of that, feel free to critique my blog whenever you want. What is your biggest grammatical pet peeve? Also, I agree that corrections should be made personally. I'll send you a message.

    Wannetta F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wannetta!

    Honestly, my biggest pet peeve is when a person is ranting and raving about politics on a social media site, and the person fails to use correct grammar or mechanics throughout the entire post. Typos happen, as you saw in my post, but their post will be tainted with homophone misusage, comma splices, run on sentences, improper punctuation, and text speech. It really lowers the person’s credibility in my opinion. I guess a common day pet peeve of mine is when someone says, “I seen” or “I have saw.” Oh, and the misuse of an apostrophe gets under my skin.


    As I mentioned in my post, we tend to forget grammatical rules. Even as an English major, I need a refresher from time to time. I am glad you found the links helpful! Thank you so much for that correction. A fresh set of eyes can do wonders! I will certainly check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I do not feel it is my place to publicly correct them." Others could learn from what you say publicly. Just like football players,coaches, artists, actors and actresses, politicians, computer programmers, musicians, authors, cooks, restaurant owners, cinematographers, conductors, and teachers are publicly reviewed and critiqued. Why not student bloggers? Will you take that position when you are an educator?

    All of your suggested links will soon appear in Writing A Quality Blog Post. Thanks!

    "I would assume learning to use the voice over software would be frustrating for the student, teacher, and parents." Much less so than being blind without any way to help yourself! A blind person will not call it "frustrating". He or she will not even think about that. For several semesters my Teaching Assistant was a blind person. He would run the voiceover at such a fast speed that I could not understand it (and found it quite annoying). I told him that. His response: "With the voice over reader I can read and I can read fast. That does not bother me at all."

    "...teachers were uncomfortable with [the] use [of technology]. " Many still are. In fact, we have at least five EDM310 students (5%) this semester who are stridently anti-tech. They want pencil and paper classrooms!

    Add to your pet peeve (in your response to Wannetta) mine: the misuse of affect and effect.

    Once again, Excellent! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Strange
    I certainly did not mean “frustrating” in an ugly connotation. Think about when you purchase a new cell phone and you are adjusting to the new device, when you cannot get the remote to work correctly, or when you cannot remember your password. Technology can be frustrating at times. Imagine a teacher who is new to VoiceOver trying to teach his or her student how to use the software during the middle of the school year. It is an amazing tool. I am positive a student would be more than grateful, but I would also think some frustrating moments would emerge. I guess what I am trying to say is that adapting to new technology is not always a seamless process; however, its benefits are rewarding.


    I think the biggest issue with criticism is finding the correct way to word things. As an English teacher this will be a top priority of mine. I want to be careful not to put down a students' creativity or thoughts, but I also want to encourage them to do better and correct their mistakes. As a peer, I feel more comfortable with correcting my classmates via email or in person, as opposed to doing it publicly. I suppose specifically for this class, I would be comfortable pointing out some errors because it has been expressed that we are to critique one another. I have to add that I am so thankful Wannetta pointed out one of my mistakes, lol, and that she done it privately.


    I am glad you found my links helpful. I adored the video I shared. Thank you again for your comments and feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is really amazing
    Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
    As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.

    ReplyDelete